Entities Exempt from Licensing Requirements:
- Any state or federally chartered bank, trust company, credit union, savings and loan association, or savings bank with deposits that are federally insured;
- The United States Postal Service;
- A state or federal governmental department, agency, authority, or instrumentality and its agents;
- Any foreign bank that establishes a federal branch pursuant to the International Bank Act, 12 U.S.C. Section 3102;
- Any person who accepts a payment instrument from a person in exchange for monetary value but does not charge a fee; or
- An individual employed by a licensee or any person exempted from the licensing requirements of this article when acting within the scope of employment and under the supervision of the licensee or exempted person as an employee and not as an independent contractor.
File a new application through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS):
- State Licensing Requirements and Checklists
- To gain access to the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS), please visit Getting Started
What could prevent my check casher application from being approved?
Bad credit will make your application very difficult to approve. At the very least, you must settle charged-off accounts, judgments and outstanding tax liens. Those who are delinquent on their student loans must be "in good standing", and those who are delinquent on child support payments must remedy this problem before they can be licensed. If you have collection accounts, you must provide proof that you have setup a payment plan and have made at least one payment.
Applicants with a felony conviction who have not been PARDONED (not just paroled), or who have not sought and obtained/documented the remedies provided for in O.C.G.A. Section 7-1-703(b), cannot be approved. The Department verifies the criminal background of each applicant for a check cashing license or registration. It is very important to provide honest answers in the application. Omissions regarding arrests are deemed to be a serious falsification of the application and can lead to denial regardless of the nature or outcome of the arrest.
How will I know if the Department has approved my check casher application?
- If your application is approved, you will receive an e-mail from email@example.com directing you to log in to the Department's secure website in order to retrieve and print your check cashing license certificate. Please be sure that your e-mail system does not block this address or divert e-mails from the Department to your spam/junk folder. The Department's primary method of communicating with you is via e-mail.