Georgia State-Chartered Banks and Credit Unions Closure Procedures
In light of recent inquiries related to COVID-19, the Department would like to remind all Georgia State-Chartered Banks and Credit Unions of emergency closing notification procedures. Georgia Banks and Credit Unions Closure Procedures
Frequently Requested Information
Financial Institution/Licensee Searches:
The following links are to searches for Georgia state-chartered financial institutions regulated by the Department of Banking and Finance. Data is updated nightly (Monday - Friday).
The Department uses the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS) to manage its Mortgage and Money Service Business (MSB) licensees.
- Use the NMLS Consumer Access portal to verify a Mortgage or MSB license.
Federal Agency Financial Institution Searches:
- Bank Find (Links off-site to FDIC) - Bank Find can answer questions such as: Is My Bank Insured? Where are My Bank's Branches Located? Where is My Bank's Home (Main) Office Located? What is My Bank's Web Site Address? What Happened to My Bank (Historical List of Events)? Does My Bank have a New Name? Is My Bank Still Open? And More.
- Financial Data and Other Information for a Credit Union (NOTE: Links Off-site to NCUA)
- Bank Deposit Demographics / Summary of Deposits (Links off-site to FDIC)
Forms and Applications for Regulated Entities:
- Bank and Holding Company Forms, Applications & Registrations
- Credit Union Forms and Applications
- Mortgage Broker and Lender Forms and Applications
- Mortgage Loan Originator Licensing
- New MSB Applicants
Certificate of Valid Existence:
Request a Certificate of Valid Existence for a Bank Holding Company (that owns a Georgia bank)
Request for Permission to use “bank”, "credit union", or “trust” and/or similar word(s) in a name:
- Request Permission to use "bank", "credit union", or "trust" in a name -
(pursuant to Section 7-1-243 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated)