Georgia State-Chartered Banks and Credit Unions Closure Procedures
In light of recent inquiries related to COVID-19, the Department would like to remind all Georgia State-Chartered Banks and Credit Unions of emergency closing notification procedures. Georgia Banks and Credit Unions Closure Procedures
Mortgage Company Applications and Resources
MORTGAGE COMPANY LICENSE/REGISTRATION APPLICATIONS
The Department uses the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS) to manage all Mortgage Broker and Lender licenses/registrations. All applications and changes to a Mortgage Broker or Lender license/registration must be made through the NMLS.
Steps to Apply for a Georgia Mortgage Broker/Processor or Mortgage Lender License/Registration
- Review the Instructions and Requirements and prepare all items listed on the New Application Checklist - If you do not have the items listed on the application checklist before applying, the processing of your application will be delayed and you risk your application being withdrawn as abandoned.
- Georgia Mortgage Broker/Processor License/Registration Instructions
- Georgia Mortgage Lender License/Registration Instructions
- Apply for a Georgia Mortgage Broker/Processor or Mortgage Lender License/Registration through the NMLS.
- Complete and submit your application through the NMLS, including paying the application and licensing fees. You should also submit license requests and/or sponsorship requests for any MLOs who will be working in Georgia. Additionally, if you are going to apply for branches in Georgia, you should apply for those at the same time as well. The Georgia branch checklist and instructions can be found here: https://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/slr/PublishedStateDocuments/GA-Branch-NewApp-Checklist.pdf.
To gain access to the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS), please visit Getting Started for State-Licensed Companies
Applications for a new mortgage broker/processor or lender license/registration must be made through the NMLS. The Department will review and approve or deny your Georgia application through the NMLS.
Processing times can vary depending on the workload of the Department, the completeness of the application, the complexity of the application, and other factors such as renewals. Applications are worked in the order received, but submitting a complete application per the Department’s instructions and checklist on NMLS, will generally produce a quicker turnaround. Processing times for complete applications are generally 4-6 weeks from the time the Department begins its review.
As of 9/12/2016, criminal history background checks on MU2 individuals should be authorized and submitted through the NMLS. Instructions and checklists are available through the NMLS website. Review of law enforcement agency information may extend processing time up to 10 weeks. Please allow for this processing time when you submit your application through the NMLS.
NOTE: If you are applying for a NEW branch physically located in Georgia, or are changing the branch manager along with the change in address for the branch, a separate application for approval must be made for that new branch location and/or new branch manager. Such applications must be made through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS).
Please DO NOT enter branches that are not physically located within the State of Georgia into the NMLS. Out-of-state branches do not require the Department’s approval and SHOULD NOT be entered into NMLS.
Licensing/Registration Application Forms, Code & Regulations
The NMLS website lists licensing information and requirements and contains a checklist to ensure that you have submitted all required jurisdiction-specific documents to the Department. You should become familiar with Georgia laws and regulations pertaining to the mortgage industry:
- Georgia Residential Mortgage Act (GRMA) Code Sections
- Georgia Residential Mortgage Act (GRMA) Rules & Regulations
Georgia's annual license/registration renewal period is between November 1 and December 1. Late Renewals are permitted between December 2 and December 31. Incomplete applications will be subject to expiration after December 31.
As of 9/12/2016, criminal history background checks on MU2 individuals should be authorized and submitted through the NMLS.
ON-LINE PAYMENTS WITH THE DEPARTMENT
For our secure websites, please be sure that you accept the security certificate when prompted. Most of our payment sites perform better using the Mozilla Firefox browser. If you use Internet Explorer, please ensure that you have version 10.0 or higher.
MORTGAGE CALL REPORT REQUIREMENTS
Companies must file a quarterly Mortgage Call Report through the NMLS. There are two components of the MCR filing - the Residential Mortgage Loan Activity (RMLA) and the Financial Condition (FC).
- Companies that qualify for the Standard MCR filing:
- RMLA is due quarterly, within 45 days of the end of every calendar quarter
- FC – Due annually, within 90 days of your company’s Fiscal Year End
- Companies that must submit the Expanded MCR filing*:
- Both RMLA and FC components must be submitted quarterly, within 45 days of the end of every calendar quarter
* Companies that a a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac Seller/Service or a Ginnie Mae Issuer submit an Expanded Mortgage Call Report.
Read more about the MCR requirements on the NMLS website at: http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/slr/common/mcr/Pages/default.aspx
Mortgage licensees/registrants who have a current and valid license may use the button/link above to access a secure site for retrieving and printing their 2020 license certificate.
You will receive your login information via e-mail from the Department (email@example.com) after your renewal or new license has been approved. Please note that the Department’s system is not connected to the NMLS, so there is at least a one business day delay in the approval e-mail from our system. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive the Department's approval e-mail within one or two business days. Please note that until you receive the e-mail from us, your new license certificate will not be available.
If you do not remember your password click on this link: MBForgotPassword.html
After a successful login, please be sure to click on the link to open the printing instructions to ensure the best quality printing of your certificate.