Welcome to the website of the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance. Among other responsibilities, we regulate and examine:
- Georgia state-chartered banks;
- Georgia state-chartered credit unions;
- Georgia state-chartered trust companies;
- bank holding companies;
- merchant acquirer limited purpose banks;
- residential mortgage brokers and lenders;
- licensed mortgage loan originators;
- money transmitters;
- sellers of payment instruments; and
- check cashers.
Please be aware that we do not regulate all financial institutions doing business with Georgia consumers. Some institutions are regulated by the federal government or by another state regulatory agency.